- Assess the current governance and performance of the Board against good practice
- Identify the issues that need to be addressed and the priority of these issues
Our 3 Step approach
- Planning and Initiation
- Consultation and Gap Analysis
1. PlanDiscuss review with the Chair to agree the objectives and scope of the evaluation, including:
- Specific questions for consultation and any specific client needs or issues
- Board briefing on the process, their involvement, confidentiality and the outputs.
- Gather and review relevant Board documentation, including for example:
- Strategic Plan and Annual Report
- Governance Manual
- Board policies
- Terms of reference and composition for Board and/or Board committees
- Samples of Board papers
2. Consultation and Gap Analysis
- Conducted separate online self-evaluation surveys for the Board and Senior Management.Each survey gathered the differing perspectives of Board members, the Company Secretary and Senior Management on the Board’s strengths and/or weakness over a range of governance issues based on approximately 70 targeted questions using the Likert Scale.
- Undertook initial analysis of key issues emerging from the surveys as a basis for follow individual and confidential discussions.
- Conducted telephone interviews with Board members, Company Secretary and senior management to get their perspective on how well the Board works.
- Reviewed findings from self-evaluation tools and interviews; extracted key messages, issues, challenges etc.
- Develop recommendations for improvements going forward
- Inadequate focus on risk
- Lack of independence on the board
- Inadequate time spent on the future
- Poor Board and committee attendance
- Assess risk appetite of the Board and develop a risk register with quarterly reporting against it
- Develop specification for and recruit two NEDs
- Develop an annual workplan for the Board to ensure that 40% of their time is spent on the future and delegate more to existing or new committees.
- Develop and enforce an attendance policy
I am more than pleased with the way the project has turned out, and with the overall experience itself. I have been raving about your company to everyone I know, and I will definitely be sending you more projects in the future.